Recipe Unlimited Corporation (formerly Cara Operations Limited) is Canada’s leading full service restaurant company. Home to such iconic brands as Swiss Chalet, Harvey’s, Montana’s, Kelsey’s, Milestones, Pubs, Bier Markt, East Side Mario’s, Landing Group, New York Fries, St-Hubert, State and Main, Elephant and Castle and Original Joe’s. With this diverse portfolio of restaurants our Home Office Associates have the opportunity to work on a wide variety of some of the most popular, well-loved brands in Canada. Variety isn’t the only thing we offer – along with competitive compensation, we operate in a fast paced and energetic environment where effective team work and self-motivation to work independently are harmonious traits.
We are looking for a new Manager of Building Standards for our Restaurant Design and Construction department here in our Home Office in Vaughan ON.
Reporting to the Director Vendor Management and Design, the purpose of this position is to develop and set Building Standards and Specifications as they relate to architecture, engineering, building methods and materials, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, civil and structural, building automation systems, technology, safety and building vendor management for all restaurants types. Success in this role requires partnering with key internal and external customers to recommend, influence and coordinate Architecture and Design Principles, efficiency and innovation, new technology, and food safety of our restaurants. May participate or lead major initiatives/mission critical projects under limited supervision.
Major Responsibilities Responsibility
- Responsible for establishing, protecting, and preserving the brand image as it relates to building architecture, standards and specifications.
- Developing national framework for architecture and site designs.
- Responsible for developing, communicating and prioritizing business initiatives, developing processes and tools to enable initiatives.
- Accountable for aligning building standards and specifications with corporate sustainability, energy conservation, and safety criteria.
- Reviews all standards for overall impact to restaurant profitability and evaluates initial development cost, maintenance cost and life cycle.
- Sets the strategic direction for new building architecture, standards and specifications.
- Collaborates as a thought partner with team's leadership to develop project-specific business cases.
- Maintains knowledge of current and new building materials, technology, code requirements and construction industry trends.
- Prepare Cost Matrix summary with building cost assumptions for yearly financial budgeting.
- Analyze building material costs to ensure we are using the most reliable, cost effective products, and analyzes regional design costs to seek out cost savings opportunities.
- Reviews all standards for overall impact to restaurant profitability and evaluates regional development cost, maintenance cost and life cycle.
- Lead building science innovation; improve building strategies and value engineering to reduce overall development costs and more sustainable buildings.
- Responsible for maintaining knowledge of current and new building materials, technology, code requirements and construction industry trends.
- Work in conjunction with Vendor management department to determine the best costs and supplier pool
- Develop, maintain, analyze and set the Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing system standards for all Brands.
- Work with Energy Manager to ensure best building science practices are being developed, specified, and followed.
- University degree or Post-Secondary College Diploma in business required
- BA degree in Architecture (B.Arch) or Architectural Technologist required
- Minimum 7-10 years of experience working in Architecture or Construction industry required
- Experience in Retail Architecture, Hospitality, and Construction preferred
- Design and functional knowledge of restaurant equipment, mechanical, electrical, and plumbing preferred
- Demonstrated skills in large-scale project management a must
- Demonstrated skills in people management and development preferred
- Strong communication skills and the ability to meet deadlines and manage competing priorities.
- Highly organized, able to handle large volumes of work and prioritize accordingly
- Willingness to travel within Canada and flexibility, which may include evenings and weekends.
- Valid driver's license and driving record within provincial guidelines.
Recipe/Cara offers a great open office work environment, with a competitive salary, group benefits, subsidized bistro, on site gym facilities and a 20% discount to most of our restaurants.
As part of our accessibility commitment, We are committed to providing an accessible environment for all of our customers, employees, and job applicants, and will make available to any selected applicants accommodations and/or accessible formats should he/she require.
We thank all candidates for their interest in opportunities with us however, only the candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.